Ahead of the Class
To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to “mailto:email@example.com”>firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* EdVenture classes. The University of Hawaii Maui College is offering the following classes. For information or to register, call 984-3231.
** “Winning Telephone Techniques” with Joanne Doell will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Monday. Cost is $55.
** “Introduction to Digital Photography” with Ray Mains will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday and Tuesday. This course is designed for those who want to use their SLR digital cameras more efficiently and effectively. You will spend time out in the field and shoot your own photos and at the final class there will be a review and
detailed discussion of your developed pictures. Requirements: bring SLR digital camera, batteries, instructional manual, and laptop computer. Cost is $144.
** “Saturday Fun Series for Kids: Chess Club: Chess Heroes” with Neil Bruce and ‘lena Lissone will be from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Advance and reveal the conqueror within you through speed chess and powerful tactics. Requirements: Age 10+ Cost is $39.
** “Cake Decorating” with Tori Takayesu will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Learn the tools and tricks of the trade. Decorating materials and tools will be supplied. Requirements: Students must bring 2 prebaked cakes (8 or 9 inch), a can of icing, and cake container or box to bring finished cake home. Ask for the supply list when you register for this class. Cost is $119.
* Dog obedience classes. Valley Isle Kennel Club will host basic dog obedience classes from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. Mondays through June 10 in Pukalani. Dogs will be taught how to walk nicely on leash, heel, sit, come, stay down and much more. Cost is $60. For more information, call 572-0257.
* Gardening classes. Anne Gachuhi of the Home Gardening Support Network will be conducting the following
** “Natural Pesticide Options for the Home Landscape” will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Lahaina Civic Center. This class explores the different types of natural pesticides, their impact, and how to use them as an alternative to conventional pesticides. Cost is $15.
** “Propagation Techniques – Seeds, Cuttings, Budding, Grafting and Layering” will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Lumeria Maui, Makawao. This hands-on session will show simple techniques of multiplying plants and provide strategies to help you make informed decisions on how to avoid common time consuming and costly mistakes when growing plants. Cost is $15.
* Dance classes. Waltz, merengue, bachata and cha-cha with Rita O’Connor of Aloha Ballroom Dance Academy will be from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays through June 26 at the Kihei Community Center. Learn to dance without feeling social pressure. Cost is $35. Guests are always welcome and there are drop-in rates. For more information, call 879-0055 or visit www.alohaballroom.com.
* Health classes. Kaiser Permanente – Maui Lani Clinic will offer the following free classes.
** “Fall Prevention Amongst Older Adults: Strategies for preparing yourself and your home” (Live Video Conference) with a Kaiser Permanente Physical Therapist will be from 10 to 11 a.m. May 13. Learn recommended lifestyle changes to prepare yourself and your home environment to prevent dangerous falls. Free. Advance registration is required by calling 270-7308.
** “Brain Fit II” with Paula Keele will be from 10 a.m. to noon May 21. Learn even more activities to improve your memory and reinforce learning. Cost is $5 due by May 9. Advance registration is required by calling 270-7308.
* Grandparents and Grandchildren workshop. “Exploring the Brain” with Heather Greenwood will be from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at University of Hawaii Maui College, Community Services Building. Participants will explore and participate in games and activities that are healthy for brains of all ages. The workshop is most ideal for elementary age students and their grandparents. Space is limited; preregistration is required. Cost is $5/family, payable at the door. To register, call Heather Greenwood, 244-3242, ext. 226 or email email@example.com.
* Didgeridoo workshop. A two-hour workshop will be presented by Wes Harada at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Makawao Public Library. Learn the background and history of this fascinating aboriginal Australian instrument, hear an aboriginal story and dijeridu performance, see a demonstration on making a dijeridu, and even try playing the didgeridoo yourself. Free. For information, call 573-8785.
* Ukulele workshop. “Play Along With Ukulele Mele” with Mele Fong will be from 10 a.m. to noon at Bailey House Museum in Wailuku. Ukulele players of all abilities are invited to bring their ukulele. Cost is $5 members ($10 nonmembers) includes admission to the museum. For more information, call 281-4981 or visit www.ukulelemeleonmaui.com.